- All ad content, in whatever form, is subject to review and approval by Daily Citizen leadership. Ad content that is deemed unacceptable or inappropriate, or that violates Daily Citizen standards, will be rejected. We reserve the right to reject any ad that we believe would compromise our editorial integrity.
- We accept ads that inform the public of a brand, a product, or a service generally. We prefer brand ads — ads that connect a sponsor’s brand to its values and are designed to develop customer loyalty but do not call for a specific action. Examples of brand ads are Apple’s Think Different, Coca-Cola’s It’s the Real Thing, and Nike’s Just Do It. Slogans or marketing statements used to identify a brand, and clearly identified with that brand, are acceptable, as are general statements about the brand, the product, or the service being advertised.
- We do not accept ads that compare an advertiser’s product or service to that of a competitor; imply a preference for an advertiser’s product or service to that of a competitor; or that denigrate a competitor’s product or service. We do not accept ads with prices attached to product descriptions or ads that describe limited-time sales or percent-off sales.
- In addition to general information about a brand, a product, or a service, ads may contain information about a business location, area and target markets served, telephone number, and website address. Links to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram profiles are permitted.
- As a matter of editorial policy, we do not accept ads that contain misleading, inaccurate, or fraudulent statements; ads that attack persons or groups; or ads that violate Federal, state or local laws.
- We accept affirmative advertising from political candidates, political campaigns, and issues-based organizations where such advertising is specifically designed and intended to educate voters and other persons who wish to become politically informed. These ads must adhere to our standards of accuracy; promote civic engagement; and reinforce our mission as an educational institution to be a convener of diverse viewpoints and a place for civic discourse. We do not accept ads that compare a candidate, a campaign, or an issue to that of a competitor, or that denigrate a competitor’s viewpoint, beliefs, or policies. Political ads must clearly identify the person(s) or organization(s) who paid for the ad within the ad itself. As with all ads, we reserve the right to reject any ad that we believe violates these standards, or that we believe would compromise our editorial integrity.
- At this time, we cannot accept video ads.
- Ads will run in the formats and spaces and according to the schedules set forth in individual agreements with our sponsors.
- Ads must be designed according to the specifications below and submitted one week before they are first scheduled to run to Judi Kamien. Images must be of good quality. If you need help designing your ad, please contact us at least two weeks before that ad is first scheduled to run.
- All ads with white backgrounds must be bordered, in order to clearly separate advertising from editorial content.
- All ads that will be served via a third party must be provided for testing and approval one week before they are first scheduled to run. If a third-party server fails, or fails to respond within a reasonable time frame, we reserve the right to temporarily discontinue service of that ad until the problem is corrected.
- Acceptable formats: .jpg (.jpeg), .png, and .gif. Files must be 999KB or smaller.
- Online ad sizes: 728 x 90 px at 72 dpi, 300 x 250 px at 72 dpi, 300 x 600 px at 72 dpi. 300 x 250 px and 300 x 600 px ads will automatically convert to 320 x 50 px on mobile devices. 728 x 90 px ads will not automatically convert; sponsors who have purchased 728 x 90 ads for online publication must also submit 320 x 50 px ads as mobile alternatives.
- Email ad size: 728 x 90 px at 72 dpi. This size will not automatically convert to 320 x 50 px on mobile devices; sponsors who have purchased 728 x 90 px ads for email publication must also submit 320 x 50 px ads as mobile alternatives.
If you have questions about this policy, please contact Judi Kamien, Chief Development Officer.